On Tuesday I really needed to push ahead with things, but it was again a day characterised by a fair chunk of administrative work. I sought and was granted permission to use the copyright text of A New Unison Mass, so, within a couple of days, I hope to have that back up on the website for free download. I also completed the dynamics and articulation for Archi so that it can be put away for a while. I finally sent off With Thy Might to the Malcolm Festival Choir, although I should point out that, even though it took longer than I had expected to send it off, it was still nearly two months ahead of deadline, and it came in under budget too.

In the afternoon I did a little recording and private tuition, and then headed over to Parliament where I was interviewed by a journalist from The Times. I do not have much experience in dealing with journalists, but I managed not to swear or say anything too scandalous, I hope. There were so many members of the choir lining up to be spoken to that I had only just got into my stride, so I might be getting a follow up call later in the week. For once the rehearsal was an O’Neill-free zone, and we started work on some Mendelssohn for next April, alongside some Christmas carols for our December concert. Say what you like about Mendelssohn, he knows how to put a piece of music together.

My builder was back again yesterday, putting up some shelves and swapping notes on cats, for, having become quite besotted with my two, he managed to persuade his other half to soften her long held view and let him have a kitten. The court has also granted an order for him to take back control of his house this weekend, which should be entertaining, especially as some of my soon-to-be-permanently-ex next door neighbours have taken to entering the house by the windows, presumably because they do not have keys to the replacement locks. It is clear that they do not want to draw attention to themselves, aside from entering via the window, for they keep all the lights switched off at the front of the house, and are very, very quiet. How ironic that they should become so considerate so late in the day.

Although I have not managed much writing over the past few days, I have still cleared a significant amount of work in terms of publicity, planning, editing and so on. I also sketch out musical and professional ideas relentlessly, trying to discover areas in which I might be able to improve, so that I feel that I am making daily progress even when I have only managed to jot down a single chord over the course of the day. Monday was such a day, for example, but it was a nice chord, full of possibilities!

Hearteningly, yesterday’s emails were full of offers of playing work, although the nature of the Christmas beast means that there is much that I cannot take on board, due to being booked already. Even so, there is enough to make me feel a little more optimistic about the immediate future, at least, to the extent that I might be able to build up enough of a buffer to see me through January and February, two traditionally quiet months. Mind you, the past two months have been quite eventful, so who knows what might happen before the New Year announces itself?

Today I am unlikely to get too much writing done, and I feel that I have stalled ever so slightly because I am not really sure what I should be writing next. Still, it’s a healthy change to be wondering what to write next, rather than cramming a single piece into stolen moments. It is a testament to being significantly ahead of my proposed schedule. Why, I’m even managing to play some board games (San Juan and Hive of late), do some cooking, watch DVDs, have days off and play with my cats. Worrying about which piece to write next is pretty small beer in comparison with some people’s ills.